I love local, seasonal, and wholesome food. I also love to share my cooking experiences with people.
So stop by, relax, and take a moment to smell the baking bread.



March 5, 2011

Wheat Grass!

After my wonderful buckwheat crop, I started using my trays for what i originally bought them for, growing wheat grass! I followed the Sprout People's instructions and sprouted my wheat berries in a jar, then planted them in my tray with organic potting soil and a little bit of my compost, watered them every day, put them out in the sun, and watched them grow! It was honestly really easy. Completely organic, and very inexpensive! I got a little manual wheat grass juicer online which is a big hunk of metal, but gets the job done, and really isn't that difficult to clean. (You have to take every single piece apart, but that's typical with juicers, so I wouldn't consider it too much work.)



I juiced some of my crop for the first time today and got what was probably an ounce of juice. I washed it down with some fresh apple juice because I didn't really enjoy the minty/grassy taste, and although I don't think I'll ever like it, I think I could grow to not dislike it.

Wheatgrass juice is a good food source of vitamins, minerals, chlorophyll, and an overall health tonic. It's awesome stuff, and it's even better when you've grown it yourself.

Living greens to green juice within minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment