I love local, seasonal, and wholesome food. I also love to share my cooking experiences with people.
So stop by, relax, and take a moment to smell the baking bread.



December 27, 2010

Almond Walnut Biscotti

Another treat that my mom has been making for years is biscotti. A couple of weeks ago, she was making some to send to my sister, and I decided to make my "alternative" version so that I didn't miss out on the sweets. Let these sit in the oven for a bit after the second bake if you want them to be extra dry and crunchy!

Vegan Walnut Almond Biscotti

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup organic sugar
Equilavent of 2 eggs (when veganizing traditional recipes, I generally go with the Ener-G)
Zest from 1 orange and 1 lemon
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 1/2 cups walnuts, toasted and chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease cookie sheet
Dough: beat sugar and margarine, and then add egg replacer mixture and beat for a couple of minutes. Add orange and lemon zest and extracts. Fold in dry ingredients and nuts, be careful not to overmix.
To shape and bake logs: Shape dough into flattish log approximately 3 inches wide and a length that fits the sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
To cut and bake biscotti: Cut using bread knife, about 3/4 inch wide pieces. Lay cookies on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, turning over half way through. Remove from oven, cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment